Saturday 29 December 2012

Tyfjord in our hearts: Setting up camp!

Freshly arrived, we started setting up a campsite. The old house was still there, but unfortunately had been vandalised, emptied for all furniture, cast-iron stoves and heaters, and left for wind and weather to destroy :(

Here is the beautiful shop of my Grandma Agnes as it used to be back then...


And here is the shop today...


...nothing left!! The beautiful combustion heater - gone - the amazing glass shop cabinets and desks - gone - nothing left! It was the same for the entire house! 
The entrance to the shop was still intact though...look, here is where everyone parked their skis before entering! I brought my mum's pair of old wooden skis back home with me. I am going to hang them on the wall to remind me of Tyfjord. 


It felt so good to be back. The peace in my heart sitting there looking out onto the fjord...that little piece of me that is always missing no matter where I am in the world.



I love the mountains surrounding us...so many little adventures we had as kids exploring...and all the hours of berry-picking in the autumn...


...it seemed the new generations also love exploring the area...


We put up our tents in front of our old blue house. Only the concrete foundation left of our blue house now... Here are the steps to the entry. I used to love sitting on those steps watching all the hard workers down at the dock. To the left of the stairs was our living room window, and I used to hang over the couch looking out, and my grandpa Fritz used to come around and check on me. No more house or window anymore, but it was nice to sit on the stairs again.

The view from our blue house up to grandma Agnes and
grandpa Fritz' big, white house
The girls loved Victor and his funny stunts
Oldemor (great grandma) Elise's house and her big, black
cast-iron stove she used to have in her kitchen
We set up our gathering place where the old fish-factory
used to be
Making a bonfire
Our tents in front of 'the main house'

My mum reminiscing about how Tyfjord used to be...
...as kids they had so much fun - and so did we - and now
my kids as well! Here is my mum (no 2 from left) and
 uncle Fritz Arne (no 4 from left) 
We missed you tante Sissel! Wish you came with us!
Gustav and uncle Fritz Arne 
Karl Gustav is the captain
This is how they used to spend summer nights -
bonfire and accordions! My grandma Agnes to the left
Pølse på spidd - sausage on a selfmade stick tastes good

Far og datter nyter et lite oyeblikk...

Milla the photographer catching a pic of a Kråkebolle
...see, Victor has lots of funny faces!!


Me and onkel Petter enjoying Tyfjord
Gregg and Erik
Elliot and Pappa :-) 
Milla is a good photographer!


Cooking freshly caught fish over the fire


My aunt is a chef and she was
cooking up a storm! Much thanks to her
we all ate very well!



My cousin Kjetil prepping more firewood
Besta and the girls with Julija and Kjetil, my
cousin, and they are also godparents of Agnes and Elliot 
Mmmmm....prawns, bread and mayo!
The fish is ready!
Grumpy face!
Lorentz reading from 'the scripture'
Lots of stories around the bonfire. My cousin Veronje also
has twins!
Loving the stories!
Kjetil, Fritz Arne, Lorentz, Petter og Audun

MrC - never without a beer and a
good cigar! Even camping in Tyfjord!
Latrine for the kids was an old chair
with a bucket inside :-)
A loo with a view!
Nika - the girls miss you!
Erik and Simen - always with a smile and a joke :-)
...I swear! The fish was THIS big!!!



Lovely long summer nights in Tyfjord!




No comments:

Post a Comment