Wednesday 26 December 2012

Øster-Tana

On the road again, we were on the way out to Tyfjord and family reunion. We passed the little church, where I was christened - now rebuilt and re-done, it looks huuuuge compared to what it was back in the 1970s!

Here I am when I was 3 with my christening certificate in hand! My mum have told me stories of my swearing at the priest during the ceremony for putting water in my hair, and how  terrified I was of all the 'nylon women' sitting up front in their finest 'nylony'-fashion dresses and coats! I guess that is what happens when you grow up amongst fishermen uncles and cousins on the pier :-)


Anyway, 36 years later, we passed Tana - and here we stopped at the Sølvsmia - the Silvershop. By the way, this is also where I got my ears pierced on my 5th birthday!

Tana Silvershop was established at Tana Bru in 1976 as the first silver workshop in Eastern Finnmark. In an old loghouse, they produce and sell Lappish gold, silver and bronze jewellery.









I got a beautiful present from MrC! A Sámi sun-brooch, and a necklace with a double chain, all in hand hammered bronze! Mwahh! You can see the big brooch in the picture below.
 

After that we stopped by a local cafe for Pølsesmørbrød - and Besten surprised Besta with a box from the Silvershop! He managed to buy her a present in the shop without her noticing! The girls were in on the surprise and were so excited :-)







In Øster-Tana is where parts of the family are from, a couple of generations back. My mum have some fun memories from this old building, which used to the grocery shop for the area. I'm sure she bought plenty of candy there :-)


Also, my Great Grandfather is buried here at an old cemetery in Langnes - it closed due to it's desolate location years, and years ago. But every time we  pass by, it is nice to stop and make it a bit nice for him. So overgrown, we had lots of work to do before we were even able to find him, and then to plant some flowers for him. So, all of us, and my cousin Kjetil and his family who were travelling along with us, got to work.



Very pretty flowers for Great Grandfather Gustav!


This is more family on Gustav's side. Unfortunately the time, weather and the great amounts of snow are deteriorating the headstones, but we tried to raise up the fallen ones. So incredibly heavy though!!!


Gotta love 'Myrull'! I have picked plenty of these, and now my girls were loving them!


Lorentz 'found' a Tørrfesk - dried cod - real snacks for a northerner!!! We were very excited!


It needs some beating and mistreating so that the fish-meat loosens...


Delicacy!!! Mmmmmm.... MrC cannot stand the smell of it! He loves mostly all Norwegian foods - but dried cod - that's where he draws the line :-)



After a nice day in Tana it was time to get back on the road again. We were heading for Skjånes...in the rain and fog...




No comments:

Post a Comment